Biomedical Equipment Engineer
Company: Quest Diagnostics
Posted on: January 24, 2023
Engineer, Biomedical Equipment - Clifton,NJ - Tuesday to
Saturday - 3 rd shiftThe Biomedical Equipment Engineer (BME) is
responsible for the proper operation, repair, and Preventive
Maintenance (PM) carried out on all assigned equipment in the
laboratory, ensuring continuous, 24x7 operations. The role requires
a high level of expertise in repair, PM, and extensive knowledge of
Lab equipment, including analyzers from multiple manufacturers,
automated sorter/aliquoters, mass spectrometers, and other
similarly highly complex instrumentation. Additional duties include
the calibration and PM of equipment (i.e., centrifuges, pipettes,
scales), inventory control, training, and documentation. The BME
works independently, sets priorities, and manages multiple projects
simultaneously. The BME solves equipment problems quickly and
efficiently using all resources available including personal
knowledge and expertise, on-the-job training, vendor advanced
training, and technical manuals. This role requires excellent
communication/interpersonal skills and is expected to keep
departmental leads and lab management informed of equipment needs
and impact on daily production, including time estimates for
- Responsible for the calibration, preventive maintenance and
repair of all equipment in the laboratory to ensure reliable
operations. The Biomedical Engineer will: Ensure instrumentation is
up and functioning at all times to achieve production goals, work
closely with the Lab Operations and Reliability Engineering teams
in coordinating departmental priorities, budgeting, and evaluating
progress toward achieving department objectives.
- Determine priority of equipment repair or maintenance.
Requisition all parts and materials as necessary in a cost
efficient manner. Train/lead Biomedical Equipment Technicians on
equipment maintenance and repairs. Communicate with Facilities
Dept. in equipment-related utility issues.
- Maintain accurate and detailed CMMS records on all laboratory
instrumentation to include service/repair reports, calibrations and
- Adhere to all company and accepted industry electrical,
electronic and biological safety procedures while performing job
- Collaborate with other labs and/or vendors to identify and
source available equipment/parts during short-term, outage/repair
- Interact professionally and courteously with all levels of
laboratory personnel when servicing and/or maintaining equipment.
Inform Managers/Supervisors of equipment needs, impact on daily
production and time parameters for completion of
- Establish priorities and manage multiple projects.
- Provide timely responses to internal clients and management
requests. QUALIFICATIONSRequired Work Experience:
- Minimum five plus preferred years of proven successful service
experience on complex laboratory or hospital instrumentation
Preferred Work Experience: N/APhysical and Mental Requirements:
- Manual dexterity adequate to handle small tools requiring
intricate manipulations of small pieces in confined areas.
- Must be able to differentiate between color coded wires and
interpret visual readouts.
- Must pass color blindness screening.
- Must be able to react to auditory warnings and messages.
- Will be required to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Will require prolonged period of standings in addition to
bending, stooping, reaching & squatting. Knowledge:
- Extensive knowledge of chemistry, hematology, or similar
- Extensive knowledge of the PM and / or calibration requirements
of centrifuges, electronic scales, pipettes, decappers,
microscopes, shakers, rockers, and warmers.
- Experienced with CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management
- Demonstrated ability to build and implement preventive
maintenance programs to minimize equipment downtime / maximize lab
instrument availability Skills:
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills,
- Proficient in reading electrical schematics to isolate a
problem and determine root cause
- Proficient in reading mechanical drawings to isolate a problem
and determine root cause
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Strong project management skills
- Proficiency in MS Office products
- Proficient in one or more Asset Reliability processes (i.e.
TPM, RCFA, RCM, FMEA) EDUCATION Bachelor's Degree(Required)Master's
- Gold Standard (Roboblot, AIX)
- Binding Site (Opitile)
- Dynex (Agility)
- Tecan (Fluent)
- Hamilton (Star)
- Yasakawa (Bulk Sorter)
- Abbott (C8000)Certified Maintenance & Reliability Professional
(CMRP)Certified Reliability Leader (CRL)1
Keywords: Quest Diagnostics, Clifton , Biomedical Equipment Engineer, Engineering , Clifton, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!